Decades of academic research have proven that the benefits that accrue as a result of engaging in debate are numerous. Debate provides experiences that are conducive to life-changing, cognitive, and presentational skills. In addition, through debate debaters acquire unique educational benefits as they learn and polish skills far beyond what can be learnt in any other setting.
Over the last 10 years plus, Austin Peace Academy Debate Team has amassed a level of success on a regional level that is virtually unparalleled.
The benefits of debate include:
- Gaining broad, multi-faceted knowledge cutting across several disciplines outside the learner’s normal academic subjects.
- Increasing learners’ confidence, poise, and self-esteem.
- Providing an engaging, active, learner-centered activity.
- Improving rigorous higher-order and critical thinking skills.
- Enhancing the ability to structure and organize thoughts.
- Enhancing learners’ analytical, research and note-taking kills
- Improving learners’ ability to form balanced, informed arguments and to use reasoning and evidence.
- Developing effective speech composition and delivery.
- Encouraging teamwork.